1. Who is eligible to enter?
Students enrolled for at least 2 classes in a Michigan university or college in fall semester 2013. If your company is selected as a semi finalist, at least two members of your team must be present on November 12 — 14, 2013 in Detroit, MI at the Accelerate Michigan event to pitch in front of a live judging panel and audience.
2. What kind of business idea can I submit?
With respect to sector, we’re looking for a wide range of submissions. While there are many great lifestyle businesses (for example: boutiques, cafes, consulting firms), we’re looking for ideas that can scale and be valuable job creators. Licensed technologies from universities and research labs are encouraged assuming they have not been commercialized previously.
3. How big can my team be?
There is no minimum for the student competition, but no more than 2 people on a team will receive complementary entry to the event.
4. Who are the judges?
The judges consist of investors, seasoned business people, members of the Michigan entrepreneurial community.
5. How will my intellectual property be protected?
6. If my intellectual property is not protected, can I enter the competition?
Yes, but this being a public forum, we cannot guarantee that your idea will remain confidential.
7. Is there a residency requirement for the winning companies?
Yes, you must be an enrolled student at a Michigan university or college.
8. Can I get a copy of the submitted ideas?
The initial abstracts presented in the competition will not be made available. However, once a team makes the semi-finals, the YouTube videos will be accessible online.
9. Is there a fee for students to apply?
No. There is not a fee for students.
10. Can I apply to both the student and the company competition?
No, you have to choose one or the other.
11. If I already have investment am I eligible?
No, if you have any amount of private investment, you are not eligible.